Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Week 3 Response

1. After reading through the inventories, my first thought with the Student Interest Survey was why in the middle of learning questions did they add "What's your favorite..." I thought for sure I would take that out to change the inventory. Then I began to think deeper about why they included this question and decided that maybe it could be a great teaching tool to know that information about each of your students. For example, a student is having a hard time understanding a concept. After referring back to their sheet, you see that the student likes a specific sport. You then relate the concept to the sport that they like. The concept then clicks for the student. Learning achieved! So, I would leave that question in the survey. I really thought the Student Profile Survey and the rest of the questions on the Student Interest Survey were throughly thought out. I would use the information on these inventories in SO many ways to differentiate teaching. These inventories ALONG WITH GETTING TO REALLY KNOW MY STUDENTS will allow me to adjust my style of teaching to fit every student's needs. I know that this is no easy task, but the effort will be so worth it.

2. While first looking through all of the inventories my mind was racing thinking that there is so much that I need to know about every student, for every subject, for every day so that I can make sure that no one falls behind. Then, I took a breather. Deciding what inventories I will use to assess knowledge, get to know students, etc. is differentiation in and of itself. So, my main connection between these inventories and all the things we're learning is this: Every student is different in every area. Everything I teach could use a little differentiating if I really want to meet the needs of all of my students. Differentiation is an ongoing process that will never see an end.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I think you wrote this before you wrote your thoughts (but I read the thoughts first!). So I hope my thoughts about your thoughts are helpful! Could you consider thinking about your students' needs as needing to adjust your teaching to meet DIFFERENT NEEDS IN DIFFERENT WAYS, rather than, as you said, adjusting your style of teaching to fit every student's needs? Do you see the difference between these two ideas?

As for the online inventories... they are not meant for you to choose from as a menu, generally, to get to know students better. They are meant as a menu from which you can select (or combine, or copy) one idea to help you plan a new lesson or unit. In other words, you use ONE way to identify what should be in your lesson to meet the different learning levels or needs there are. I hope that makes sense. Let me know! 4 points