Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Week 7 Response

What I still need to know about tiering lessons for "readiness" is more in the "readiness" part of things. I'm still struggling with the concept of "readiness" and how exactly I can determine the "readiness" of all of my students for every lesson. I guess you could say I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. And, I want my cooperating teacher to know of my want to differentiate my lessons. I'm scared I won't be able to do this correctly for the lack of knowing the students. Again, I am overwhelmed.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

First, let me assure you that if you continue to let your feelings of being overwhelmed cripple you, you'll never really be able to differentiate. I'm NOT saying you won't be a good teacher. I know enough about you to really KNOW what a great teacher you already are, and are becoming! But, differentiation is a "learn-by-doing" gift, and if you stay overwhelmed, you'll never really try, (and tweak and change and try again, etc.). You said you were wondering how exactly you can determine the "readiness" of all of you students for every lesson. So please, "listen carefully": It is NEVER, for ANYONE, and "exact" thing. It's only your best idea of what they are ready to learn with help, and what they are NOT ready to learn because of gaps in their learning experiences. Then, it's a matter of TRYING OUT some ideas to overcome the gaps and make everyone successful to some degree, for THEM. The other thing is, you don't EVERY assume that you can, or even SHOULD differentiate every lesson. You are the only one who can determine when it really is necessary, and when you really can DO it. 4 points